Research suggests that an adoptive family's needs for support services may grow over time, long after an adoption is finalized. Help the adoptive families you work with access the supports they need to ensure successful, stable, and permanent adoptions with Information Gateway's updated bulletin, Providing Adoption Support and Preservation Services. Our new bulletin supports adoption professionals in addressing a family's prepermanence and postpermanence needs and discusses common challenges, emerging issues, and important considerations when providing services.
Adoption support and preservation services are part of a continuum of comprehensive supports that begins with adoption preparation and ends long after an adoption is finalized to ensure well-being and permanency for adopted children and their families. They are vital to ensure that:
- Families are thoroughly prepared for adoption.
- Families are aware of the diverse range of available adoption supports before they finalize an adoption.
- Families address the impact of separation, loss, and trauma on adopted children and youth.
- Family members strengthen their relationships, attachment, and bonding.
Adoption supports fall into several categories:
- Educational and information services
- Clinical Services
- Material support
- Supportive networks
Information Gateway has several related resources, including the following:
Your feedback is important. Be sure to let us know how we're doing by taking our survey! For more information, visit our website, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us toll-free at 1.800.394.3366.