Medicaid to Age 26 for Foster Youth
Call-In Day, February 15, 2017
Children get to stay on their parents’ insurance policy until age 26. Yet foster youth do not have this benefit. Due to no fault of their own, foster youth are removed from their own homes and parented by the state. Medicaid to 26 provides them coverage on par with their peers who were raised by their families. About 20,000 young people age out of the foster care system each year, and they are more likely than their peers to suffer from health issues due to exposure to trauma, homelessness, and neglect.
Members of Congress need to know that the health and well-being of tens of thousands of youth is at risk if the ACA is completely repealed. Please join us in advocating to ensure coverage for these young people. Here's how you can get involved!
Tomorrow: Call Congressional and District Offices
Spread the word to your networks
Forward this information to others via listservs, twitter, facebook and other social media.
Join the conversation on Twitter by using #ProtectOurCare #Coveredtill26 #Medicaidto26 and #SupportFosterYouth
What to Say When you Call your Representatives
When you call your Representative and Senators, tell them that you want Medicaid for former foster youth to be saved and that it is needed by former foster youth.
You can tell them why having health insurance until age 26 is helpful or will help you.
Here are some things you may want to say:
• I am a foster youth and will age out of care soon. I am not sure that I will have health insurance unless Medicaid for former foster youth is in place. Here are some of the reasons that having health insurance is important to me and will help me: _____________________________________________. (If you have special health or treatment needs, you could share specifically how having health insurance will help keep you healthy.)
• I am a former foster youth and currently have health insurance because of the Medicaid for former foster youth program under the ACA. Because of this health care coverage I am able to get the following care _______________________________________. Here are some of the reasons that having this health insurance is important to me and will help me: ___________________________________________. (If you have special health or treatment needs, you could share specifically how having health insurance will help keep you healthy.)
Here are some more ideas for what you can say:
• If having health insurance is helping you get or keep a job or stay in school, let your Representative and Senators know.
• If you are not sure you would have health insurance without the Medicaid for Former Foster Youth program, let your Representative and Senators know.
• If you want your Representative and Senators to stand up for foster youth, let them know they should support the Medicaid for Former Foster Youth Program.
First Focus Campaign for Children
1400 Eye St., Suite 650 NW
Washington, DC 20005